Saturday, September 25, 2010

Clear skies and fabric


This has been, without a doubt, the least summer-like summer I've ever experienced - cool and gray and damp more often than not, and generally nudging me into Crankyland on a regular basis. Today, though, was glorious. Clear clear blue skies (I have a friend who calls this "Frank-Sinatra-eyes blue" and says she moved to Seattle because of skies like these) and 73 degrees. I did some work in the garden, deadheading dahlias and spreading mulch, but mostly I played elsewhere today - Quiltworks Northwest. I hadn't been there in a few years, and I'm happy to report that, since their move, it's no longer so crowded that you have to worry about tripping over a bolt of fabric and breaking a leg.


This is part of the display of vintage yukata fabrics from the Okan Arts trunk show - the ostensible reason we made the trek to Bellevue. I actually own three rolls of yukata, given to me several years ago, but have never been able to successfully incorporate them into my quiltmaking. I love the designs, but many are just so insistently themselves that they don't play well with others, and fabrics playing well with others is what my quiltmaking is all about. The stuff Okan Arts has is lovely, though, and I did buy a few pieces that are going to become part of Christmas gifts.

But did I really think I was going to get out of there without shopping?




Having an active fantasy life is probably a good thing, but the no-shopping thing? Probably better leave that out of the fantasies.

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of those rolls of yukata, but I am with you and wouldn't use that type of fabric. It did occur to me wonder if the yukata fabric would work with the Posie Gets Cosy market bag pattern?

    I see a lot of similarities to their old store in the photos, but it doesn't look as crowded. They must have used the same shelving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, that's a great suggestion. Some of the yukata patterns are too large for the market bag, but they might work really well for modified eco-market tote or a plain bag with a big open space. Thanks!

    I think QNW definitely used the same shelving around the perimeter. The shelving that's away from the wall -- stepped risers -- is different.

    ReplyDelete