Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tired, stupid and happy

I bonked my head on some scaffolding when I was getting off the bus this morning, and I blame it on a baby shower gift.

A lot of the staff at the company where I work are young and female, and there's always a baby or two on the way. Much as I would like to, I couldn't possibly make a quilt for all those babies -- instead my standard shower gift is a set of 3 large (42" x 42") flannel receiving blankets. Hemming a big piece with the fancy stitches on my sewing machine is quick and fun, and I get to buy lots of bright colorful flannel prints for which I would otherwise have no use. (It's always about the fabric at my house!)

Instead of wrapping paper or paper gift bags, I use tote bags as my gift wrap. I use Alicia Paulson's "Jane Market Tote", which is fun to make because it allows for lots of different fabric arrangements. I usually have a few on hand, but had run out and needed one for today, so I made this last night:

I'm pretty happy with it -- it was a great way to use these two fabrics, and it went together pretty quickly, but - I didn't realize I needed to make one til 10 pm, which meant I didn't get to bed until 1 am -- which meant I was still feeling tired and stupid when I got off the bus at 8:15 am. But at least I was tired and stupid and and full of post-fabric-handling endorphins...

1 comment:

  1. I really have to try that pattern. I haven't done it yet. I have plenty of fabric, of course. I like the idea of using a fabric bag for wrapping.

    ReplyDelete