Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blue Plus Sign progress

Went straight into the studio when I woke up today and worked on the blue plus sign quilt top for a few hours, stitching the top together. I am a big proponent of sewing one's tops together in chunks instead of rows, and even though this design is laid out in rows, there are a few opportunities for breaking it up into chunks.

You have to pay close attention to what you're doing, though, and I didn't pay close enough attention, so there was a lot of sewing of long seams going on.

When I had the top laid out unpieced, I liked the way some of the plus signs were extending out into the border area because I hadn't cut all the pieces to size, so I left them that way as I pieced. I don't have any extensions at the top or bottom, though, and it feels unbalanced to me. I can add some to the top and bottom or I can unpick the sides and take out the pieces that are extending into the side border area. I'm trying not to let my decision be driven by the reality of which approach will take less work.

Taking Jaye's advice to "avoid making irrevocable decisions while tired or hungry," I am going to go away and eat dinner and see how I feel about it then!

1 comment:

  1. Self bordering. Add to top and bottom, please. I like the finished plus signs on the sides. The background fades and makes me want to get closer to see what is going on.

    ReplyDelete