Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Screen-free weekend - literally

So, my computer monitor is on the fritz - as of yesterday, it comes on for about 1/4 of a second and then the screen goes blank. I suppose the problem could be the video card for the computer, but... I tried hooking the monitor up to my work laptop yesterday and had the same problem, so I think it's really the monitor. Which is better, in a way, as I am more confident of my ability to replace the monitor than I am of my ability to replace the video card. But, still annoying, as I have photos to upload -- the Year of Scraps top no. 1 is pieced! -- and fabric to look at ;-), and this is NOT how I want to spend my January play money.

There are some flat screen monitors sitting forlornly in the IT work room at the office -- abandoned after people upgraded to larger monitors recently. I'm going to see if I can buy one for cheap -- because no matter how inexpensive a new one is, it's still a lot of yards to fabric to buy one. Cross your fingers and hope for me...

In other news -- I changed my normal gift certificate behavior and used a Christmas gift as soon as I got it -- ordered several pieces of the new Daisies and Dots collection as soon as Fabricworm got it in (I got the first cut off the bolts!) It arrived today, and it's all as bright and cheerful as it appeared on line. The scale of the prints is rather larger than I anticipated, though. It seems that more and more of the fabric lines coming out are medium to large scale -- the better to be used for garments and tote bags, etc., I suppose, but a little difficult for me to work with, since I tend to find a 4" square of fabric to be really really big. This stuff is really cheerful, though, which is what I want right now, so I will make it work!

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you posted this, because I couldn't find the email you sent saying what you bought. I am drawn to this as well. I thought it was your choice, but wanted to confirm. I am hesitating, because Cynthia doesn't seem to have the fuschia colorway. Did you get the fuschia with your bundle? How does the chartreuse looks. On my screen, it looks a little blah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is a fuchsia colorway, actually. Red, green and blue are the three colorways on the Kaufman site. There are white dots on a fuchsia background, which I got and like, blue/green/fuchsia dots on white, which I got but don't love so much (it is actually my least favorite of the prints I got,) and the fuchsia ribbon drawing, which I didn't get. (I bought individual prints instead of a bundle.)

    The green is more light olive than chartreuse. I like it -- it looks good with reddish violet -- but it is sort of heavier-feeling than chartreuse.

    I will send you swatches of what I bought so you can see for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up buying the bundle and in true Fabricworm fashion it arrived about 2 days later. I don't love the chartreuse, but think it goes with the other fabrics. the prints are different than what I normally buy so I will have to see wha I can make out of them.

    ReplyDelete