Sunday, January 11, 2015

Moving right along

Some days are better than others when it comes to the Year of Making concept.  Today was a very good day.  I spent some time on sewing projects and on knitting.  My current knitting project is a striped tubular cowl that will have 5 sets of stripes by the time I am done.  I'm working with Rowan Baby Merino Silk DK, in three shades of blue and two shades of gray.  While I like the gray shades well enough, the blue ones are what got me started on this project in the first place.  I am almost through the third set of stripes and soon will have only the colors I like best left to work with.


I also finished (my part of) a project that has been lingering for far too long.  This quilt top is made from the Curio pattern, out of an early issue of Fat Quarterly magazine. 
 
 
The fabrics come in part from dresses that a friend kept as her daughters grew out of them, with other fabrics from my stash chosen to coordinate with those.  (Also yards and yards of fancy muslin.  It's shocking how much yardage can get used up in sashing a quilt design of this type.)  I got half way through the first of two tops and hated what I was doing, so took it apart and had to come up with a different plan.  After having the materials in hand for at least a couple of years, I got the tops finished last summer/fall.  Today I finished the backs to go along with them.


My commitment was to make the tops.  The backs were bonus and my friend will be having someone else do the actual quilting on these.  I'm not happy at how long it took me to get this done, but I am  happy with the design solution I finally came up with, and I'm really happy that I'll be putting these in the mail tomorrow.  This was the oldest item on my unofficial to do list - yay!

4 comments:

  1. Great job! I am glad they are done. What a slog - a chain around your neck.

    Did you ever see the sweater I have that looks like your cowl? Remind me to show you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think I've seen that sweater. I'm sure it was part of the (unconscious) inspiration for this cowl.

    Glad that R finally has the quilt tops/backs in hand, and we found a couple of machine quilters options this weekend. Meanwhile - I like this pattern and will probably do another one. It's time consuming to make all the plus sign units, but it's a great design for highlighting prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I like about it and it is not boring to look at.

      Delete
  3. Also, it is so great that you got the oldest UFO off your to do list!

    ReplyDelete