Sunday, January 4, 2015

Off the list that doesn't exist

Flying Geese Exchange, week 1
 Jaye and I have a block exchange project going this year - well, not blocks, but pieced units.  We started out last October planning to exchange blocks, based on a quilt we had seen at PIQF, but neither of us was enjoying piecing those blocks, so we abandoned that idea and then tossed ideas around a bit before settling on exchanging Flying Geese units.  Our rules are:

  - gray/white print for the background
  - any print for the foreground
  - pieced units to finish 2" x 4"
  - each of us pieces 4 units each week, keeps two and sends the other two off for exchange

We chose a particular range of gray/white prints for backgrounds for the original exchange project while we were together in October, and decided to stick with those for this project so that we should end up with backgrounds that will work together.  We don't have rules for the foreground prints, but I will probably stick pretty close to the original palette to start.  We're using the piecing method that involves a large square and four smaller squares, which we both find easier for making sure we have accurately-sized units.  I am MUCH happier with this project, because these are fun to piece. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my units, but that's OK.  The point of the exchange at this point is the interaction - it will be interesting to see the way the fabric choices evolve over time as we each respond to what the other sends.   Making something out of the complete set will be a related but separate project for me.  



At the other end of the project life cycle is this quilt, which I just finished.  It's been in the works for years.  I don't even remember when I pieced it - several years ago at least.  A friend quilted it for me last year on her long arm machine, and I started putting the binding on it this summer.  I got three quarters of the way around the thing and then it sat there, waiting patiently for me to come back to it.  Finally yesterday evening I got out the hand sewing box, sat myself down with an iPod full of podcasts, and finished the last of the hand-sewing on this.  Done!

I haven't made a formal crafting To Do list, but if I had one, I could now cross this off of it.  I have to say it felt good to put the Flying Geese units in the mail today, and even better to weave in the tail on the hand piecing thread, pick the loose threads off this quilt and call it good. Next up - packing it up to send off to its new home!

No comments:

Post a Comment